June 26, 2014

Ant #269. Get out, yankees!

Last night while I was walking across the city I saw probably the most disgusting and ignorant thing that I've ever seen here in Argentina. The whole wall with posters saying "Get out, yankees! Get out, vultures!"
For a moment I couldn't believe my eyes. I took a picture and continued walking.
The organization that released these posters is called "Movimiento Evita" and is pro-government and pro-Kirchner.

I came home and in my head there was the only one thought... Am I still in Russia or what? What the hell happened with a democratic and tolerant country built exclusively by foreigners that came here a few centuries ago?

And suddenly I remembered...
"Economic markets are collapsing, people all over the world are suffering and people are afraid and what happens when people are afraid? They become intolerant. They start pointing the finger at other people. They say "You are the reason! You are the problem! You are to blame! Get out!" The enemy is not out there... The enemy is within!"
The woman was damn right when she first said it almost 2 years ago. This is what I see now in the place where I live.

I don't know if those people who are responsible for posters are just covering themselves with the name of Eva Peron or they really follow her lessons, but I'm pretty sure Evita would never approve this act of discrimination and ignorance. She was teaching all argentinians how to love each other, how to show their compassion, she was fighting for equal right, wasn't she? I'm glad she cannot see how her name is being used nowadays.

I always say it to russians and I guess I'm gonna start saying it to argentinians. Stop blaming other people for the problems you have! We all make our own lives and we are the only ones who are responsible for what happens in our country. If you don't like the situation with human rights, start treating people better. If you don't like the economic situation, vote for another government.

The western society is the one who gave you all the technology to print your shitty posters.
Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment